Horizon, a newspaper produced by a team of students at Lynbrook High School in the Lynbrook Public School District, received several honors in the 2021 Empire Scholastic Press Association awards.
Horizon has a roughly 30-year history participating in the state-wide competition including past gold and silver awards for best newspaper. This year’s honors include:
• Second Place, Best Overall Newspaper
• First Place, Best Overall Newspaper Layout/Design
• Honorable Mention, Best Feature Story (“Concert Choir Culture” by Alyssa Inserra)
• Third Place, Best Illustration (November ’21 cover by Amintta Ragavanis)
• Third Place, Best Sports Story (“MLS Mourns the Loss of Hank Aaron” by Alyssa Inserra)
For the layout awards, the Horizon team submitted three full print editions to be considered, and stories had to be well-reported with a variety of interviews.
“I feel honored each year to get to work with such hard-working, talented, and dedicated students on Horizon,” said advisor and English teacher Jessica Sanders. “This year’s winners are no exception. They continue to amaze me with each and every issue they have put out over the past two years. The fact that they have been able to produce these print editions despite all of the obstacles we’ve faced the past two years is truly incredible.”